Painting Prussian Dragoons
from Baccus in 6mm
A quick guide to how I painted my Prussian Dragoon
Regiments for Waterloo using Baccus Prussian Dragoons (NPR6). I painted the 1st Queen's Own Dragoons (Königin Dragoner-Regiment Nr 1) and the 2nd West Prussian Dragoons (Westpreußisches Dragoner-Regiment Nr 2).
1. Undercoat – Citadel Abaddon Black
Paint the undercoat in black and let dry completly.
2. Dark Blue Undercoat - Humbrol 77 Navt Blue
Paint the jacket, shabraque and valise and let dry completly. It doesn't matter if you paint outside the area.
3. Lighter Blue Basecoat - Citadel Enchanted Blue
Paint the jacket, shabraque and valise with a dry brush leaving some of the darker blue in the shadows.
4. Facing Colour
1st Dragoons: Crimson.
2nd Dragoons: White.
Collar, Cuffs, Border of the shabraque. Epaulettes of the trumpeter. It doesn’t matter if you paint the collar too wide and cover part of the face.
6. Brown – Citadel Doombull Brown
Paint the hair. It doesn’t matter if you paint the hair too wide and cover part of the helmet.
7. Flesh – Humbrol 61 Matt Flesh
Face and hands. It doesn’t matter if you paint the face too wide and cover part of the helmet.
8. Grey – Citadel Administratum Grey
Breeches and valise. When you paint the valise leave two blue strips.
9. Black - Citadel Abaddon Black
Boots and shako. Also touch up any areas where you painted outside for example when you dry-brushed with blue.
10. Silver - Citadel Runefang Steel
11. Gold - Citadel Gehenna’s Gold
Trumpet and Finial (top of flag staff).
12. Light Blue Highlights - 50/50 Citadel Enchanted Blue and Humbrol 44 Pastel Blue
Highlights on the coat - e.g. arms and shoulders.
14. Earth – Citadel Graveyard Earth
15. Matt Varnish
Each regiment had a different standard. The staff was black with gold fittings and the bandolier crimson.